Friday, February 22, 2019

Facebook Remarks by Myself re: Neil Diamond 21 May 2011


 I love the rich mellowness of his voice and the simplicity of lyrics. He says a lot with very little. 
I never went to any Diamond concert but here I go with my story about Neil Diamond. I used to start work at 7AM in Rockefeller Center. On some days
 I would get off the express bus and walk over to 48th to a particular deli “Scott’s” that served a very tasty and cheap bacon and egg sandwich to go. This was in I think July 2001. Well anyway Scott’s is just off NBC’s glass front on the street for the Today Show. Well on this day at 6:30 the plaza was packed with 1,000 people and Neil was doing a warmup for the Today show at 7 AM. The crowd was absolutely on top of every music note and lyric, screaming, clapping, jumping. I stood across the street and listened for a bit and then sadly had to get to work three blocks away. 
I remember walking along dark streets and hearing echoes of “Cracklin Rosie” bouncing off the walls of skyscrapers and remember it because it happened a couple of weeks before 911. I remember Neil Diamond with not only a fondness for his music but the memory I have of him in NYC before NYC changed on 911. Whatever.



Facebook Remarks by Myself re: Neil Diamond 21 May 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment